The Four Step Podcast Quick Launch For Attorneys

| | Blog,

If you’re an attorney and you want to create a podcast that brings in more clients, it’s likely that you don’t have the time to research what you’ll need to have a successful launch. This four step podcast quick launch will help you get up and running in half the time.

Step 1. Understand Your Listener

Have a clear understanding of the Podcast Listener Buying Cycle™ which states that there are four phases the listener goes through before they buy: discovery, courting, priming and purchasing.  

  • Discovery Phase (Story) 
    • Sharing your story and your customer’s story
  • Courting/Dating Phase (Engagement)
    • Providing consistent value to grow the relationship
  • Priming/ Building Trust Phase (Authority) 
    • Demonstrating social proof
  • Purchasing/ Buying Phase (Offer)
    • Asking for the sale in an authentic way

It’s important to understand the nuances of each phase because they all work together to achieve the end result of closing your client. The Podcast Listener Buying Cycle™ is similar to dating. You can’t ask for marriage on the first day or you’ll send them running in the other direction. This episode from week 2 goes into more detail. 

Step 2. Define Your Strategy

I’ve seen many attorneys get into podcasting with the hopes and prayers of landing more clients. The biggest mistake they make is not having a clearly defined strategy on how to leverage their podcast as a marketing channel for their practice. And hope is not a marketing strategy.

Outline your strategy and vision for your podcast by asking these three questions:

  1. Who will I serve and what value will I deliver?
  2. What is my end goal or vision for the podcast?
  3. How much time and money am I willing to invest?

Answering these three questions before you get started will put you on the right path, but this is only scratching the surface. 70% of the upfront work needs to go into planning your strategy and the remaining 30% needs to be spent on content creation and your launch. You can schedule a quick 15-minute call if you need help mapping out your strategy.

Step 3. Record Your First Episode(s)

Next, you’ll want to get started recording your first episode. Not sure what type of content to create? Take a look at How To Become A Client Magnet With Audio TestimonialsHere are the basics of what you’ll need to get started recording:

  • Microphone
  • Recording & Editing Software
  • Professional Voiceover

This equipment guide will cover everything you need in more detail. One word of advice: keep it simple. You’re not Howard Stern or Dave Ramsey. And although I’d love to see you get there someday, remember that money loves speed! Don’t spend the next three months trying to build an ESPN broadcast studio. Get the basics and get started.

Step 4. Submit To iTunes

Now that you have you’re recordings edited, it’s time to get them up on iTunes. This is where you’ll send clients to start building trust (Courting Phase). You’ll need to have:

  • Hosting
  • Be able to location your RSS feed

There are other directories you should submit your show to (see 12-Step Zero to Launch checklist), but iTunes gives you the celebrity credibility of being alongside Dave Ramsey, Jim Cramer and Ellen Degeneres.

By following these four steps, you’ll be able to launch your podcast in half the time takes other attorneys in your field.  I’ve put together a special guide How To Become A Client Magnet With Audio Testimonials if you’re still confused about what strategy to use. My friend Angela from Author Incubator and the Page Up^ podcast used it to close five clients in 60 days and generate $50,000 in business.